Re: DML, Trust & a Thought for Discussion : Please Read

From: Alex Harris (jetcity@swbell.net)
Date: Sat Mar 03 2001 - 19:05:13 EST

That's an interesting notion, Cal. In all the cases I've purchased over the
net, I've always had to pay first and then cross my fingers and hope that I
was dealing with a reputable person. And you're right, sometimes this
involves hundreds of dollars.

Obviously it would have to be voluntary, there's no way to regulate usage.
And someone would have to be willing to do it. Pay would come from where, a
surcharge on all transactions? Would people be willing to pay that for the
peace of mind and security it adds? I would be tempted to use an escrow
agent, especially for higher-ticket items. But then again, for many
transactions it might be unnecessary. Also, what if someone returns an item
that they used and/or damaged, who will be responsible for the dispute
between the vendor and purchaser as to whether money should be refunded?

Would there be enough transactions to make it worthwhile? I just don't know
if the volume is high enough to warrant someone committing resources to it.

My $.02

- Alex