Re: Re: RE: Re: RE: 180 Thermostat

From: Gary Fanning (Gary@Fanning.net)
Date: Sun Mar 04 2001 - 15:15:02 EST

Spoke to an engineer at CooperStandard, makers of RobertShaw t-stats;
actually, he returned my call. It turns out that he worked their project
with Chrysler on the 4.7L and its t-stat. In his original design, he had a
180 degree t-stat; and as everyone has probably read, Chrysler changed it to
the 195 degree for emissions.

He also talked about the spring strength of t-stats and its importance with
this design. The 4.7L water pump can actually open a closed GT755-180; he
doesn't recommend it. Instead, he suggests buying the factory 180 degree
t-stat for the 2.7L V6; the air valve will not be in the exact position, but
is ok. He says that Autozone will have their t-stat specifically for the
4.7L sometime in late March or April time-frame. He also said that the
330-180 will work ok in the 4.7L application; because of its unique design,
the spring is not an issue.

Gary