Amsoil/Mobil 1/Synthetic WAS: Hughes Engines 4.7L 68mm flow data is in......

From: Curt Coulter (curt@cjnetworking.com)
Date: Sat Mar 10 2001 - 16:45:47 EST

> Hmmm. I think I'm doing a dino oil change this weekend! :) Then I'll
> switch to synth at 3500.

Good idea! You'll love that Fumoto next time!

> > I also waited until 16k miles to switch to synthetic,
> > should be plenty of time to get everything seated nicely (Oh, and I
> finally
> > ran out of the cases of valvoline sittin in my garage ;-).
>
> 3500 isn't enough time?

Some say it is, some say it isn't. With the 4.7 I've seen a lot of people
say it takes it while to break in, and recommend waiting until 10k or so.
You certainly aren't going to harm anything by waiting, assuming you've done
the 3 changes or thereabouts in the first 10k.

> > Amsoil is simple to find, order on the website, it arrives at your door.
> > How could it be simpler? Heheh.
>
> Yeah, that's pretty simple all right. I'll take a look at that.

Depending on whether you choose to use it in your other stuff as well, you
can become a preferred buyer for $25, I think that's how much it was. Then
you get dealer prices from the website. Since I run Amsoil oil in my
motorcycles and snowmobiles, the cost savings more than made up for the cost
of becoming a 'preferred buyer'.

> > It is pricey no doubt about that though.
> > HOwever, when I just recently switched to the amsoil, whoa, what a
> > difference! I wasn't really expecting any difference at all, but the
> engine
> > just PURRS, idles much smoother, starts more easily after
> several days in
> > the cold. Big difference.
>
> You mean from non-synth to Amsoil? So non-synth to Mobile 1
> should be very
> similar, right?

Yes, from dino to synth. Yes, I would expect similar results with mobil 1.
Also, mobil 1 filters are excellent, I used them for all my dino changes,
and then switched to amsoil filters when I switched to synth oil. Either
way you choose, they are both outstanding choices. There is some evidence
that Amsoil is superior in some respects, but I did a *lot* of researching a
year ago and settled on Amsoil as the best (originally for just the
snowmobiles, and then for everything..)

/Curt
Chelsea, MI
00 QC SLT+ 4.7 4x4 5-spd 3.92lsd