Re: Amsoil/Mobil 1/Synthetic WAS: Hughes Engines 4.7L 68mm flow data is in......

From: Tod Oace (tod@quay.com)
Date: Sun Mar 11 2001 - 15:33:05 EST

> > Hmmm. I think I'm doing a dino oil change this weekend! :) Then I'll
> > switch to synth at 3500.
>
> Good idea! You'll love that Fumoto next time!

Yup, looking forward to it!

> > > I also waited until 16k miles to switch to synthetic,
> > > should be plenty of time to get everything seated nicely (Oh, and I
> > finally
> > > ran out of the cases of valvoline sittin in my garage ;-).
> >
> > 3500 isn't enough time?
>
> Some say it is, some say it isn't. With the 4.7 I've seen a lot of people
> say it takes it while to break in, and recommend waiting until 10k or so.
> You certainly aren't going to harm anything by waiting, assuming you've
done
> the 3 changes or thereabouts in the first 10k.

I was looking around and found this interesting page:

http://www.mobil.com/mobil1_racing/about/products/index.html

It doesn't exactly make my decision easier, but I'm tending to believe what
Mobile says. However I do know that Mobile would like to sell me synthetic
sooner than later. :)

> > > Amsoil is simple to find, order on the website, it arrives at your
door.
> > > How could it be simpler? Heheh.
> >
> > Yeah, that's pretty simple all right. I'll take a look at that.
>
> Depending on whether you choose to use it in your other stuff as well, you
> can become a preferred buyer for $25, I think that's how much it was.
Then
> you get dealer prices from the website. Since I run Amsoil oil in my
> motorcycles and snowmobiles, the cost savings more than made up for the
cost
> of becoming a 'preferred buyer'.

I'll also need 4x4 fluids since my Dak is a 4x4. And I want to switch my
12k old Honda VFR800 to synthetic. Unfortunately going to synth in our
Maxima is risky since it's 85k and 6 years old now.

> Yes, from dino to synth. Yes, I would expect similar results with mobil
1.
> Also, mobil 1 filters are excellent, I used them for all my dino changes,
> and then switched to amsoil filters when I switched to synth oil. Either
> way you choose, they are both outstanding choices. There is some evidence
> that Amsoil is superior in some respects, but I did a *lot* of researching
> year ago and settled on Amsoil as the best (originally for just the
> snowmobiles, and then for everything..)

Thanks for the reply, Curt.

--
Tod Oace, tod@quay.com