Re: 4.7 Borla Headers; Big Disappointment

From: WMBARRET@aol.com
Date: Sat Mar 10 2001 - 16:51:16 EST

Hey Paul, sorry about the disappointment! After hearing about the expected
5-10 hp gain from headers a while back, I decided not to go this route. As
you said, the factory manifolds probably flow very good! I took a close look
at a 4.7L engine that was on display at Daytona last month, it had the
manifolds on. I took a very close look at them, and man those things look
smooth, and they are short.After seeing them this close I can see where you
are coming from. You might throw one in the truck when you come to VMP next
Sat. for everyone to see!!
I've been trying to find an exhaust shop who will rework my factory Y-pipe.
To me, it looks very restrictive, and the pipe dia. is about 2". I believe a
reworked Y-pipe, and getting rid of that 3rd cat will have a little better
result than the headers.
As of right now, nobody will touch the Y-pipe! I'm going to take care of
the third cat myself.
See ya Sat.

Matt Y2K-HEMI
'00 RC 4.7L 5spd 3.92 4x2
14.23 @ 94.49

In a message dated 3/10/01 8:41:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Signman615@cs.com writes:

> Subj: DML: 4.7 Borla Headers; Big Disappointment
> Date: 3/10/01 8:41:05 AM Eastern Standard Time
> From: Signman615@cs.com
> Sender: owner-dakota-truck@BUFFNET.NET
> To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
>
> Got my headers installed yesterday and the exhaust shop had a tough time
> getting them to work. The place where the header meets the Y-pipe was way
> off
> and the only way they could make it work was to cut the Y-pipe and add a
4"
> piece to spread the Y apart more. They called me before doing this and I
saw

> exactly what he was talking about. I was too far in to back out so told
him
> to go ahead. Apparently the driver's side is easy to get to but the
> passenger's side is really tight, he had a time getting that one in. My
> exhaust guy has been doing this sort of thing for 20 years and knows his
> stuff. He has two drag cars he races and works on himself so I trust him
> completely. He was not impressed with the design or quality of the Borla's
> and said the factory manifold looked like it would flow better, but like I
> said I was in to far to turn back now and I was looking forward to having
> the
> truck sound a lot louder. I already new my HP gains were going to be
minimal

> but wanted the sound more than anything and any HP gains would just be a
> plus. Anyway after cutting the Y-pipe and 4 hours of aggravation they are
> installed and aren't leaking. Unfortunately the truck sounds exactly the
> same. No difference in sound at all. I couldn't believe it. Now the truck
> sounds exactly the same as before, probably has the same HP as before, and
> has a cut Y-pipe that is no longer under warranty. Live and learn. This is
> not an upgrade I would recommend to anyone with the 4.7. My exhaust man
said

> he was highly impressed with the factory manifolds. I should have listened
> Kenne Bell when they told me they were only able to squeeze out another
> 7-10Hp at the rear wheels with their $700 set of headers and didn't
> recommend
> doing the upgrade unless I was racing and just needed that extra little
HP.