AAMCO UPDATE (long again)

From: Tom (Silver89) (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sat Mar 10 2001 - 20:56:15 EST

Well here is what happened. I talked to my friends at NAPA, listened to
what the DML had to say. (LOTS of very interesting info from everyone
- thank your for taking the time to post your experiences!)

And I went in to the aamco shop with a friend of mine who owns, operates
and maintains 18 wheelers. We looked at the trans. And from what they
showed us - the overdrive gears were chewed up - Literally. The teeth
were mangled. For all I know though that was a part they had in the
back of the shop. But I am certain it was real because of the problems
I was having with the transmission. So then we went to talk about the
price.

When I signed the papers authorizing them to do the work, I was aware of
the fact that other parts would cost extra. (Torque conv. and if the OD
was bad) However (and I know it was my own fault for not requesting a
detailed explanation of the possible extra charges) I had no idea that
they would try to gouge me that badly. My friend and I went into the
office (with the door left open to the main office area) And started
talking. To make a long story short - here's the gist of what went
down. We started off saying that we would have to take the truck out of
the shop because the prices they were asking were way too high. The guy
there says we cant do that, that I will still own him the base price of
$969 + $292 for the torque converter. He stated that by signing the
papers - that I as much owned the parts etc. And that the work was
done. (funny thing was we just saw the transmission still apart and out
of the truck!!)

Then my buddy happened to read over the agreement - and this is what I
signed.
"AAMCO may operate this vehicle for the purpose of testing and delivery
at my risk. I understand that if a torque converter and/or hard parts
are required, the cost will be in addition to the base price of
$969.75. I have the right to authorize the additional cost or request
reassembly and reinstallation of the unserviced transmission for a labor
charge of $395.00 which includes the cost of disassembly and
examination." Dated on 3/6/01

Now - this is the same guy that I have been dealing with since I took it
into the shop on the 6th. He passed over that part when I first signed
- and really confused me. I had to ask him to explain it twice. By this
time - (this morning) I had actually forgotten about it. It was very
lucky my friend noticed it. Because when he mentioned it to the sales
person, he got pissed. All throughout the encounter today he was
getting more and more irritated. HE said something about "yeah - you
could refuse it - but only within an hour" Those weren't his exact
words but that's basically what he said. Both my buddy and I laughed at
that and said come on that's garbage. My friend said to him - nw you ar
making things up. I said the the sales guy - how is it possible that I
could refuse work that, in only one hour, that you didn't tell me I
needed done until yesterday evening!

He talked real fast and honestly I am having a hard time recalling
everything that was said. (I have only had 5 hours sleep!) My friend
then asked for a number so they could call to get some third party
arbitration or such from aamco corporate. Because we were getting no
where here. He the number and then started saying stuff about the
people at that number won't help you - they don't care about your car or
service etc... and my friend said well we'll see - may I use your phone
to call them? At this point we were both still calm and rational. And
the guy says no. We may not use the phone. My friend says why not? He
says very little but says no. And then my friend started to get pissed
and started saying you are an Aamco shop here and I cant call your
number here? It says right on this invoice that I can call toll free
for assistance etc. The sales guy says go home use your phone. My buddy
says no - I want to call now! This exchange kept going on for several
minutes which at the point where the sales guy bolts up from the chair
(because he and my buddy are starting to yell now about the phone) and
SLAMMS - I do mean slam - not just shuts - but slams the door to the
office. There was another customer just a few feet away - turning white
as s sheet - listening to what's going on and was probably second
guessing his decision at bringing his car here LOL)

Before the door slam (I think - it could have been after the door slam)
He started giving some bull shit about - these engines will overheat
without the over drive - that the overdrive was there to keep up fuel
economy and to keep the engines from working to hard - that the valves
will be ruined because the RPM are too high. He said no overdrive would
ruin the engines. And made a lame excuse saying that years ago before
the modern trans.'s that if an engine had 100,000 miles - you wouldn't
buy that used car because the engine would be ruined! I stopped him at
this point and got pissed myself. I said - just a minute sir - I may
not know my transmissions - but I DO know my trucks! (This was Dakota
Pride being attacked here!!!) I said if a non overdrive trans was in
my truck - it would not hurt it.

After we had beat him down and he realized that he wasn't going to get
away with this - he caved. We settled on a price of $1650 for the trans
to be completed. The standard warranty was 12 months. HE said he would
give us a 6 month warranty!? Where did he get the authority to cut the
warranty in half?? But when they tried to print it out - the computer
wouldn't recognize it - and he said - eh - ok we'll give you 12 months.

Well... <shew> I should have the truck Wensday. He promised that it
would be done right.

I do NOT plan to let this go without them coming under SOME reprimand.
Anyone feel like taking up another consumer quest against Aamco? I want
these bastards hung out to dry. This is serious price gouging.

"She has a face that would make an onion cry"

Tom S. http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine Site Updated - on 2/5/01 1989,V6,Auto,8 footer,4x2 1989,V6,Auto,8 footer,4x4 w/snowplow (woohoo!!)