Re: RE: Aamco Trans Ripped Me Off (long)

From: David Zavetsky (zavetsky@home.com)
Date: Sat Mar 10 2001 - 23:27:57 EST

Just my two cents here:

I recently had a tranny die in my Ford Exploder.............on vacation,
two days before I was supposed to be heading home, about 10 hours of
driving..........

The LOCAL garage in Nags Head basically said it would be about $2500 and
take almost a week by the time a unit was built for me (out of town),
shipped in and installed..........

I called AAMCO in Norfolk, VA and found one on their shelf......they
trucked the Explorer up to them (about a 3 hour trip) and we went and
picked it up later that same night.........

I ALSO dealt with a tranny rebuild (well, the overdrive/transfer case
rebuild at least in my 92 V8 Dak....same deal....OD gears were trash, etc
etc...........Dealer did that one under the 7/70 warranty......the cost for
the rebuild (NOT THE WHOLE TRANNY MIND YOU) was listed on the invlice at
almost $2700..........!!!!!!

So, the price AAMCO gave you, to be honest, isnt suprising..........

The "base" price assumes that the tranny they swap out for the rebuilt unit
you get is ok as far as the heard parts go.....i.e. the seals, etc can be
bad, but the gears and such have to be solid........ANd, unfortunately for
most folks that blow a tranny, SOME hard parts are usually dead due to the
fact that the tranny blew and wasn;t caught until too late, like my
Explorer.....The hard parts are REALLY expensive...............

SO, while it DOES hurt (I'll be paying the Explorer's tranny off for a
while), it's not suprising...........

The days of a cheap $600-$1000 rebuild are over, methinks.............