Was Weatherflectors and Jet Stage II Chip installed....now Jet vs PCM Upgrades

From: Ronald Wong (ron-wong@home.com)
Date: Sun Mar 11 2001 - 14:51:12 EST

Hi TX,

<snip>

<< I started
noticing that after I installed my Gibson catback, so
I can't necessarily say the chip has contributed to or
enhanced that performance aspect. >>

You're right. The cat back probably did more for you than anything else.

<<The things I have noticed are: 1) for some reason, I'm
getting slightly better gas mileage on my 1st tank of
gas using the chip (but I've only gone through 1/4 of
a tank); and 2) my transmission upshifts are slightly
more delayed -- which is my preference.>>

That could have something to do with the fact that you reset the PCM when
you installed the Jet chip. Resetting the PCM will reset some of the
shifting that the PCM was used to doing as you were driving from day to day.
As you continue to drive, depending on the way you drive, you may notice
those same shift points changing again.

<snip>
<<Unfortunately, if the chip doesn't help, I may be SOL
b/c I don't think a custom flash will work on a 4x4
'00 5.9L. If your understanding is otherwise, please
let me know!>>

You're right. They don't make and are not planning on making an HP PCM for
your vehicle, however, all is not lost. If you are NOT planning on doing a
lot of heavy towing, and I stress this strongly, you can have your stock PCM
customized so that basically it becomes an HP PCM, but custom made for your
vehicle. The people that do the customization are the same people that
develop the HP PCM for Mopar so you're in good hands. The cost is ~$500
plus shipping. The reason Mopar opted out of doing those is due to people
using the HP PCM to do heavy towing. Because the timing is advanced that
kind of load causes a lot of detonation (pinging) in the engine. What
sounds like a ping is a tremendous hammering on the pistons. Keep doing it
and pretty soon you won't have an engine left. People wanted Mopar to
replace the engines because the PCM was a Mopar part. Now you see why.

Ron
00 PB SLT QC 4X2 5.9 46RE 3.92 LSD