RE: Bad Mileage

From: Sevrence, Sean (S.J.) (ssevrenc@visteon.com)
Date: Mon Mar 12 2001 - 08:30:45 EST

Hey Paul!

Nice recap of your past year (and happy anniversary!!) My 3.9L has been used
for 8.5 years with 80% hwy. The first year I only drove 9,992 miles - all
city and around 17.5mpg. Then I started working where I needed to drive
50miles one way. I mostly cruise at 73-75mph and I was right with your
19.6mpg. After about 3 months of this driving pattern (80/20) I bought my
Extang tonneau cover. That alone gave me 1.5mpg. I don't care about what the
research shows with regards to covers on a truck, they don't pay for my gas!
Lastly, I added the double guard filter from Fram which has the filter
soaked with Teflon about 3 years ago (while still using dino-oil). This gave
me another .5mpg. That puts me up to 21.6mpg. She has run consistently and
solidly since day one. I have put my 3.9L in the garage since October when
her big brother came into the family. I need to do a little maintenance on
her (get a replacement right, rear taillight - cracked while loading
landscape timbers into the bed. Doh!) before I get her out. I hate putting
the miles on my '01, but damn it's fun to drive! I have switched the tonneau
cover to the 4.7L and switched to Mobil-1. My best tank so far has been 19.6
(going to hit 10,000miles tomorrow). I'm doing a test with air-pressure
variation now to see what the best "setup" is.

Unfortunately that test has been put on hold as construction has once again
reappeared. Damn. I will keep everyone posted after I finish.

Sean
'92 RC Sport 3.9L 5spd - 250,000mi!
'01 CC SLT+ 4.7L 5spd 3.92 LSD Mobil-1!