Re: RE: Bad Mileage

From: Tubamirbls@aol.com
Date: Mon Mar 12 2001 - 09:26:37 EST

Hi Sean
     Where did I get the idea your name was Mike?!
     I notice your truck(s) has the manual transmission. Dispite all the
substantial improvements in auto trans design plus the addition of an OD 4th
for auto transmissions there is still a gas mileage advantage to a manual
trans. Many would no doubt argue there is a performance advantage too
although the gap on that subject has been narrowed to almost nil I think.
     I've owned a vehicle since the mid 50's and have bought new on factory
special order 90% of the many I've had over that timeframe and this 2000
Dakota is the first car or truck I've ever bought with an auto trans (my just
previous '86 Caravan was given to me and it had an auto also!)
     Among the custom ordered were a 62 Valiant 2dr (3-in-the-tree), 64
Valiant convertible 4sp,, 66 Plym Satellite 361 v8/4sp, 70 'Cuda 340/4sp, 73
Road Runner 318/4sp and several Pontiacs w/4cyl 5 sp's there after.
  I seriously considered ordering a Dakota with manual trans since dealers in
my area (SFo Bay Area) tend to stock man trans in 4cyl strip down basic cab
versions only. However, the flood of people moving to this area to work in
Silicon Valley occupations has created such a tremendous traffic mess almost
all times of the day and evening 7 days a week that creeping in freeway
gridlock with a man trans is more of a pain than a delight and under these
conditions I think neither trans has a gas mileage advantage over the other
anyway.
     At least my truck has been remarkably consistent in delivering mileage
that hovers around 20 seemingly with little serious impact from traffic
conditions. I do seem to be able to get enough open road driving per tankful
to overcome the gridlock times.
     I have a fiberglass tonneau cover which I bought after about 2,500mi and
did not see any appreciable change in mileage. It is nice keeping the rain
out of the bed and having the security of a locked cargo area albeit a very
low one height-wise. I think you're right when you say your cover added
maybe a half mile per gallon improvement. Mine adds maybe 125# of weight too
so it's akin to having a young lady riding in my cargo bed at all times

Cheers

Paul Sahlin