Re: Re: CO2 tanks....

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Mon Mar 12 2001 - 23:32:16 EST

> 'Scuse me while I ask a stupid question; what are the CO2 tanks used
> for while offroading? Only things I'm coming up with are to reinflate
> tires or run air lockers and such. How far off base am I? :-)

Jon,
Basically from what I gather, a CO2 tank, say a 10lb tank, will be able to
air up many many many more tires than a comparable air tank. Also the CO2
tanks ait up the tires A LOT faster than any air compressor most of us have
which we use to air up tires. These are the small lunchbox sized compressors
which plug into your cigarette lighter. If you have used one, then you know
how long they take. I think I have gone through 2-3 in the 5 years I have
owned my truck. Most people air down tires when fourwheeling to create a
larger footprint and help to displace the tread over a larger area. "The
reason for reducing air pressure is that a "less inflated" tire creates what
is sometimes called a "bigger footprint". This simply translates to the fact
that lower air pressure actually puts more rubber on the ground. In
addition, the tire becomes more flexible and when the tire meets an
obstacle, it will conform to the obstacle's and help "pull" you over, rather
than the "bouncing" that you'll experience with a fully inflated tire. The
added traction will also make it much easier to get through loose dirt &
sand. Just think about the way snowmobiles or snow shoes work...it's the
wide flat "tread" that gets them through the soft stuff."

"The liquid CO2 evaporates inside the tank/cylinder and builds pressure
which is released as a vapor gas (compressed air) through the regulator. As
the gas is used, more liquid evaporates inside the aluminum cylinder thus
regenerating the pressure. Once the cylinder pressure reaches a certain
level - normally 500-900 psi - the evaporative process stops until gas
pressure is released again. CO2 gas is non toxic, non-corrosive, and totally
inert.CO2 vapor is inert (non-toxic, non-corrosive). That's
right-Non-Corrosive. Some seem to think that CO2 vapor is bad for your tires
 and rims. It is not. In fact, you're breathing in CO2 in the air and it's
the same CO2 that pushes the soda in the soda machine at McDonalds. Its
thermal expansion rate is similar to air (~1 psi change per 17 degree F
temp. change) so it will not blow your tires on a hot day. CO2 is considered
a "wet" gas because it does start out in liquid forn but the amount of
moisture content per cu. ft. of vapor is often less than what you would see
coming out of a compressor. There is no need to worry about running air
tools as long as you maintain your air tools to the manufacturers'
recommendations with proper air tool oil."
A typical 5 gallon air tank pressurized to 125 psi will air up two 33X12.5"
truck tires from 10 to 20 psi. A typical full 10lb CO2 tank will air up 30
of the same tires. You can obviously see the benefits. You can use this
tanks to run air lockers and even power tools.
Hope this helps! Wanna pitch in and help us out? So far we have 2 DMLers.
Myself and Russ. Anyone else????????????
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6