Re: Still Stalling!

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 00:00:18 EST

> Battery and CKP (crankshaft) sensor would be next for
> me. The battery is easy enough to test - just swap it w/a known good one
if you
> have one around. I actually thought you had already changed the CKP
sensor as I
> seemed to recall it mentioned before... I'm leaning towards those two
because
> both could cause you to have a "no-start" type situation. In your
debugging,
> concentrate on the "no-start" problem as the driveability problems can
have so
> many more causes and the "no-start" ones are a smaller set of
possibilities -
> and you've got alot already. On a '96 or later, we would get a check
engine
> light indicating CKP signal loss if that were it - '93 computers must be
even
> dumber than our '96s. You mentioned fuel and spark are ok - qualify that.
Fuel
> pressure STAYS within +/- 5psi of 49.5psi? (thats my '96 fp spec - dunno
> exactly what the '93s are expecting). I mount a fp gauge to the test port
and
> clip it under the windshield wiper for full drive-cycle testing. It
should be
> extremely steady, rock solid, not varying even with rpm. If it does -
your
> system may be modulating the voltage supply to the pump which would
explain why
> you have went through so many pumps. Sparks when? Mount an inductive
pickup
> light that you can see while driving to verify that it is following rpms
> nicely. Hey I know it might look ugly but you are already a redneck
right? 8).

Shane,
I never did mess with the Crankshaft Position Sensor. That is probably THE
only stock sensor on my truck actually; currently at 138,000 miles too. I
think I am going to pick one up tomorrow and install it when I get home from
work. It looks like it will be a 15 minutes job.......hopefully. It is late,
I will just smirk and let that redneck joke pass.......this time! :)
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6