Clicking/Clacking noise coming from engine on cold starts

From: Chris Reck (roadkill@mediaone.net)
Date: Wed Mar 14 2001 - 12:26:37 EST

Hey everyone,

Recently, whenever I start up my truck when it's cold out, I hear what
sounds like metal spoons clacking together under the hood. It is only heard
at idle and when I am not on the gas driving. I suspected that it was the
lifters and the dealership here told me to change the oil. Since I was
close to 3000 mi anyway, I did. It made some improvement since it does not
last as long. They also put Slick 50 in there too.

I am worried that this could lead to a mechanical failure. I have 31000
miles and my warranty will be expiring soon.

When the dealer looked at it, they wrote CAUSE: NOISEY/NTF. They were not
able to duplicate it. I can't have them ride with me to listen because it
disappears before I get to the dealership.

I am due to change the spark plugs and wires soon (hopefully today), but I
wanted to know for sure what this could be.

Thanks!

Chris
'99 Dakota Sport + CC 4x4 Amethyst