Re: Re: RE: Clicking/Clacking noise coming from engine on cold starts

From: Leonard Price (lprice@consultronics.com)
Date: Wed Mar 14 2001 - 16:36:09 EST

I have an old 1975 corvette that never sees the road except for the sunny
days in the months of June to Sept. and I thought that Slick50 might be a
good thing for it. Keep in mind this car only has 70k miles on it. Anyway I
put it in and within 1200miles I started getting the lifters clacking so
bad I thought the engine was going to blow up. I took it home and drained
it out and it was like water, I put reg oil in and my baby was well once
again. So definitely Slick50 is pure junk.

At 02:53 PM 3/14/01 +0000, you wrote:

>GM, Ford, BMW, and a few of the other imports are putting synthetic in right
>from the start.
>
>As for the Quaker State oil in general...I won't ever touch it again. I had
>purchased some of their "Offroad Blend" for a test and after 1500 miles,
>my oil
>pressure gauge was fluctuating. I drained the oil (all 4 qts - cold
>engine as
>well) and it just ran out like water. My neighbor saw this as well and was
>rather disturbed on how thin the oil was from Quaker state after only 1500
>miles. (It's not a pretty sight!)
>
>- Bernd
>
> > I'm not sure, but I think Quaker State is implying the same things in their
> > new ads (dire consequences if you don't use Quaker State). The ones with
> > the attractive actress from the show "King of Queens" (don't know her
> > name). Next time I see the commercial I'll have to pay more attention to
> > what she is saying.
> >
> > Regarding additives in general. Ever new car owner's manual I have read
> > (and I've read a few) recommend against oil additives. I assume that is for
> > a reason, however, some manufactures are putting synthetic oils in some of
> > there cars (I believe at least the Vette). I assume that is for a reason
> > also.
> >
> > --
> > Miles Harris III

Leonard A. Price