Re: Tech Advice?? (Non Dak, But I Need Help)

From: MrDakota95@aol.com
Date: Thu Mar 15 2001 - 00:58:12 EST

In a message dated 3/14/01 11:46:19 PM Central Standard Time,
MrDakota95@aol.com writes:

<<
 In a message dated 3/14/01 10:48:49 PM Central Standard Time,
 OLZNUT@webtv.net writes:

 <<
  Hey all, as you know, I'm building an engine right now for my Project
  Olds. I got me a un- pleasent suprise call today from my engine guy.
  Evidently, this engine in it's previous life spun 3 rod bearings to the
  point of beng .080, .090, .100 out on the crank. Now, since this a
  forged steel crank, he says he can weld some material to work with on
  it. It just doesen't sound right to me for longevity and reliability
  reasons. Should I let him do this for $150, or try to find another
  crank, keep in mind this engine (330cui) was only produced from '64-'67,
  but they all came with the steel crank and will run me about $350.
  Thanks alot!!!!!! >>

 Ed they can build the journals up and it won't effect the strength at all.
 but it all depends on your piece of mind.

 P.S. I had a 65 Olds Cutlass Supreme, 330, 310 hp, 2 speed and 10 bolt posi
 and that thing flew, I loved driving it and I wish I'd never gotten rid of
it.

 Good Luck!!!

 Shawn
 MrDakota95

To be a little clearer here, they used to use a process where they built the
journals up using a powdered metal which was fed into a torch and bonded to
the crank to build up the journals, I've seen diesel cranks built up this way
at the Community College I work at, (Formally a tech school) with no ill
effects. If this is what he's talking about fine, if not buy a crank.

Shawn
MrDakota95