RE:Keep on Truckin'

From: Sevrence, Sean (S.J.) (ssevrenc@visteon.com)
Date: Thu Mar 15 2001 - 10:54:30 EST

Hey Thomas!

Very Cool!! It has definitely been a great truck for me! The first year I
owned her, I put on 9,992 miles. After that, forgetaboutit! Throughout the
week I average 700 miles. Yikes! Between work, school, transporting my
daughter to dance class, and bowling (yes, that Midwest sport!) it adds up
too damn fast.

I have to tell you that I have not been easy on her either! I always take
her up to 4,500 rpms, that way I shift into the torque. I have averaged
8k-9k per oil change (80% highway) using standard Valvoline 10W-30. I did
use a couple quarts of Slick 50 along the way. Then I switched to the Fram
Double Guard filter with Teflon in '98.

The only things I have replaced on her is:
4 sets of headlights (always on - $72)
transmission @ 86,000 (mechanic could not tell me what the failure was -
could not shift into any gear - $2,100)
2 batteries (factory made it 7 years! The second one just died - $180)
all brakes and front rotors (once!!! yes, they are due again - $300)
changed to APP3923 plugs after 150,000 (Free!!)
fuel pump this past October ($400 - all labor :( )
water pump this past October ($60 - did it myself)

That's it!
I bought her for $9,200 on April 2, '92 and it hasn't cost hardly anything
on repairs ($3,112).

The annual cost of ownership (truck and repairs) has been a whopping
$1,368!!!! Try to come close to that with today's prices!

That's why I had to get her big brother. I'm hoping that he will give a
similar repair history (minus the tranny of course ;^P ) I figure if I can
beat up on that 3.9L and get 250,000 miles, I should be able to manicure the
4.7L and have him last forever!!!

I just flipped 10,000 miles on Tuesday. I need to replace the right rear
taillight on the '92 so I can drive her again to keep the miles off of the
'01!

Hope your Dak give you as good of service as I've received!!

Sean
'92 RC Sport 3.9L 5spd - 250,000mi!
'01 CC SLT+ 4.7L 5spd 3.92 LSD Mobil-1!