NV3500 Gear Whine

From: Crit Bennett (crit@engineer.com)
Date: Sun Mar 18 2001 - 03:05:30 EST

I've developed a high-pictched whining in my manual tranny. It's pretty
noticable over 50 or so in 5th and changes pitch with speed and changes
intensity with throttle, so it's classic gear whine. Mine's been pretty noisy
from day 1 and at low speed (under 5 or so) even sounds like a jar of marbles,
like there's air in the bearings - cavitation it sounds like. It's my only
vehicle and my dealers are a pain, so I'm wondering if it sounds like low
tranny fluid and I might try that before taking it by. What weight Redline
would be right for the tranny, and in what capacity? If the gear oil gets low,
will you hear the gears start to whine or what?

Crit

Sent through Cyberbuzz- A Server for the Students
http://cyberbuzz.gatech.edu/