RE: IAT box & dyno results -- tech discussion

From: Jon Smith (jon@fast4x4.net)
Date: Sat Mar 24 2001 - 08:11:34 EST

I think of it like this... Where else could the factory put the IAT? In
the manifold it is easy to install on the assembly line, and it's not in a
place that could likely get destroyed by the end user...(not saying this is
fact, but it makes sense to me) as far as it being the best place to read
the temp, I must also disagree by virtue of plugs and thermostat :) I think
it's fairly well known that cooler plugs and thermostat benefit even bone
stock motors, but why did CC/DC use what they used?? Might be totally
unrelated to the argument but it makes sense in my mind :)

If the stock location was the optimal place for the IAT, wouldn't that mean
that when fooling the PCM w/ air temp we would see a loss in overall
performance and driveability?

The hard plastic is indeed a thermal insulator, but look at how sensitive
these sensors are. Even the difference in how you blow your breath across
the sensor has a dramatic effect on it's output. Stick that sucker in a
30lb metal heat sink and it will alter the true air temp. I know the
incoming air will heat up upon arrival into the intake, but to what
extent???

I can't definitively answer those questions, but I know it works well...
maybe it's voodoo??? :)

______________________
Jon Smith--Raleigh, NC
   www.fast4x4.net
   jon@fast4x4.net
     344hp/424tq
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

-And it sits there for a reason - because this is the best place to read the
-ACTUAL temp of the air entering the motor. The further away you
-get - the less
-accurate your measured results will be. This will only make the
-PCM work harder
-to control the system. Furthermore, the tip of the sensor (the actual
-thermistor) is hanging in free air - even insulated from the metal
-of the sensor
-housing itself. Ever wonder why the end is a hard plastic
-extending from the
-metal base?
-
-Don't shoot the messenger - this is just my findings. Contradict
-them if you
-will - providing proof of course 8).
-
-Latr,
-
-Shane
-

---
-'96
-IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/AccelCoil/MPComp/HookerSuperComps/CompTAs
-'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"
-'74 Triple-Black Dodge Challenger Rallye 360 home-brew EFI R&D vehicle
-'68 Black Corvette Convertible 427 (For Sale)
-
-
-