Re: '99 FSM on Ebay

From: Alex Harris (jetcity@swbell.net)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2001 - 10:01:52 EST

I wouldn't feel too bad, Jeff. Chris, it IS about, whoever will pay the
most, but you actually have to outbid other people -- it's an auction! If
they bid more than you and you're not around to bid, then... you don't get
it! It's not that the other guy "didn't give you an opportunity to re-bid,"
you weren't there, and your max proxy bid wasn't high enough. He knew what
he'd have to do to have the best chance at buying something he wanted, and
he made the effort to get it done. He didn't make the rules, he was just
following them.

It's natural there'd be a flurry of activity at the last minute on a popular
item. Proxy bidding is a convenience, not a guarantee. Either put in your
REAL maximum bid and say "oh well" if someone pays more, or be there when
the bidding closes to up your ante. It would be nice if there was some way
to make it more convenient, but I don't see how.

My $0.02

- Alex