More on the Syntec/Mobil 1 story

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (patrickandkelly@erols.com)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2001 - 21:49:50 EST

  Here's more for you who've followed this thread. I decided to go and
check the oil level in her
vehicle again, since it has been almost 2K since the 2nd oil change with
Mobil 1. The oil was as dark
right now as I've ever seen the Castrol Syntec after 7500 miles, and it
was also 1/2 qt. low. This would
translate into almost 2 full qts. low by the time it gets to the 7500
mile interval. I measured the oil
I drained after the first Mobil 1 oil change, and it was barely 2 qts
out of a 4 1/4 qt capacity (no oil light
or low oil pressure gauge reading!?)
   Commenting on some questions that have been raised since I first
started this up-
No, the engine does not smoke at all. But my '92 Dakota 318 never
smoked, but it still "use" a quart between oil changes even at 60,000
miles. And it has absolutely no oil leaks.
Clean-the inside of the motor is extremely clean, no varnish, sludge, or
discoloration. The valves have
to be adjusted every 15,000 miles, so I get a chance to see the inside
quite frequently.
  So, what led to the drop in fluid level/consumption and the dark
color?
  I took up someone's suggestion and contacted the place to get your oil
tested.
And the synthetic saga continues
  Patrick
ps-Anyone want 4 1/4, er uh 3 3/4 qts of Mobil 1 oil, slightly used, for
free? Come to Maryland and bring a jug, cause I'm ready to switch
back. And, even worse, (and additional Dak content) I also switched
from Castol GTX that I used on my last Dakota to Valvoline on my R/T
(trying to please the Nascar sponsors) Maybe I ought to switch back?!