RE: 2000 R/T Gooseneck Towing...

From: Rodney Lewis (rlewis@nicorenergy.com)
Date: Wed Mar 28 2001 - 08:35:26 EST

I'd tend to agree with Aaron. Definitely don't want to do this without
electric brakes on the trailer. I've used my full-size conversion van to tow
my CJ-7 to the trails on a trailer with no brakes and to bring my Scrambler
back from Michigan where I bought it on a trailer with brakes. Night & day
difference. You do not want to have a lapse in judgement or have to
otherwise make a panic stop without trailer brakes. The last time I towed I
had a large enclosed trailer hitched up to go buy some parts. Was cruising
in the left lane looking for my turn-off when a cop pulled a u-turn,
followed me for a bit, flashed his cherries as a warning for me to move to
the right, then continued to follow me hanging in the left lane just behind
the trailer...needless to say I blew past my turn because of this jerk.
Ticked off, I whipped into a gas station to double-back and realized I was
coming in a bit too hot and had to jam on the brakes to avoid barreling into
the cross street. If not for those trailer brakes I'd have probably
jack-knifed and hit someone. I'm kinda in the same boat as you right now. My
wife wants to get rid of the van since she has to drive it every day (she
refuses to drive my CJ-7) so I'm looking at Durangos, Grand Cherokees, and
Explorers. Even though I don't really want to end up with four vehicles, I
am considering just buying her a car and then doing what Aaron
suggested...buying an older full-size pickup to use as a tow vehicle and
parts/equipment hauler..I do too much DIY stuff around the house to be
without a vehicle with some cargo capacity, and I don't think I want to be
trying to load stuff into the back of a Scrambler with 8"-9" of lift :-)

-Rodney