Re: Reflection on my Dak [pointless]

From: Miles Harris (spikes_duall@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 28 2001 - 12:02:36 EST

The problem Alek, is you belong to this list. Reading how some of the
members have modified and customized their trucks to go faster does tend to
create a desire to do the same to your own truck (lets call it "Horsepower
Envy" or "HE") unfortunately, as you mentioned, we own anemic 2.5L.

Of course, I prefer to refer to my engine as a efficient 2.5L. In fact here
are some other items I tell myself (or delude myself to believe) to get me
past the "HE" that pops up from time to time while I read this list.

On the surface, my Dak is just as good looking as there Dak.

In traffic jams on the LA freeways (rare as they are...) My truck will go
just as fast as the trucks with bigger engines. In fact I go as fast as the
more expensive and powerful cars on the road. Of course, when the traffic
clears up, I'm left in the dust, but I'll catch them at the next slowdown.

In a race to see who can go farther on a tank of gas, I'll beat almost any
trunk with a bigger engine (except maybe Will C, not to be confused with
"BeerCan Will"). I realize this ain't the type of races you would like to
win with your truck, not exactly a exciting race, but we have to take our
victories wherever we can.

When it comes time to change plugs, the V6 guys will spend 50 percent more
for plugs and the V8 guys 100 percent more. Hey it is only a buck or two,
but we have to take our victories wherever we can.

When it comes time to change my oil, I can reach my filter from above. No
risk of me getting a hot oil facial. Once again we have to take our
victories....

In theory, because my engine is lighter and therefore my truck is lighter,
I should get a longer life out of my brakes. Of course this theory could be
shot to hell if the trucks with the V6's and V8's have bigger disks and
drums, but taking the don't ask don't tell line of thinking, my theory is
valid. And once again.....

Since by owning the 4 banger, and there are not as many mods available out
there, I'm saving a ton of money over what the sixer's and eight's have to
(or want to) spend. This leads to domestic tranquility since I don't have
to convince my wife I really need that new intake and exhaust system.
Again....

Finally, I don't need a bigger engine and more power to compensate for my
other shortcomings (get my drift) and make me feel like a man (bigger
engine guys, read into the above whatever you want) .Besides
..................................... that's what I had the assorted
sportscar in my life for. Also, after driving a Sentra and then a Escort.
The damn 4 cylinder Dak, no matter how anemic (I mean efficient), is more
than enough truck to compensate.

So you see Alek, there are ways to feel good about your under-powered but
efficient truck. I hope this helps you to feel better about your truck. If,
after this half ass argument, you still feel the need to get a truck with
as you called it a "real engine", go for it! However, I do take offense at
you considering our trucks not to have "real engines". We have real
engines, there just not real FAST engines.

--
Miles Harris III
Simi Valley, CA

"Alek Benedict" <alek@earthling.net> wrote in article <KHEPKNIADOPGGADEMIKLOEDPCIAA.alek@earthling.net>... > Well folks, after a bout of insomnia tonight I had some time > to reflect on my Dak. > > This is the conclusion that I've come to. My Dak is a nice, > cheap, reliable, utilitarian vehicle. All of these mods that > I've planned will make it slightly faster, but I finally got > it through my head that with the anemic 2.5L, I might as > well not bother. > > I had planned on getting an MSD 6A, doing a K&N cold air > intake, etc .. But now, I simply plan on replacing the plug > wires [which are shot] with Magnecors, getting a Fumoto oil > drain valve, replacing the dist. cap and rotor, and calling > it good. > > From this point on I'll only be doing "mods" that keep it > running or are cheap [like SilBlades]. No point in trying > to make a 2.5L fast, right? > > So what am I going to do with the money? Spend it on my > truck of course! I'm going to use it to pay off the loan > more quickly. The quicker I pay off this one, the quicker I > can replace it with a Dak with a REAL engine. > > Anyhoo, no real point to this message, just thought I'd > share my new-found "plan" with everyone. > > Thanks for listening! > > -- > Alek Benedict with a techno beat. > alek@earthling.net > > 1993 Dodge Dakota Sport [2.5L/5spd] >