Re: Re: No Power for California.. No Soup (so to speak) for you. (long)

From: Miles Harris (spikes_duall@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 28 2001 - 17:56:50 EST

Yes Bernd, you are right. CA is at fault. Our elected officials who dreamed
up this deregulation fiasco and forced Edison and PG&E to sell off their
generating plants (hair brain idea if I ever heard of one) carry a big
blame. Our overall reluctance to build more power plants (either
eviromently or because we don't want it in our backyard) adds to stupidly
of the whole situation. Of course Edison and PG&E and their parent
companies have a major part to play a in this drama. The out of state power
supply companies and their apparent price gouging are the straw that
brought this to a head, The list reads like the little events that lead up
to sinking of the Titanic and includes consumers, who you got to figure if
they are buying gas hogging SUV's, are probably not doing much to conserve
electricity at home (at least before the rate increase of yesterday).

The part that gets me upset is that those of us who didn't want
deregulation, understand the need to build new power plants and have been
doing our part to conserve energy are the ones who have to pay for the
stupidity of others. Except for those living in the city of Los Angeles and
get their power from DWP. The GM (a Texan for those who don't know) decided
not to have DWP join in the deregulation game. Instead he kept DWP
generation plants and now DWP has a surplus and is planning on lower rates
to consumers.

California is to blame and needs to solve this problem. But, at the same
time, the state does not live in a vacuum. The problems will spill over
into neighboring states and if it is not resolved will effect the entire
country. In spite of my posting which started this thread (posted in humor)
the last time I checked, California was not its own country. What happens
here will effect the rest of the country as major events and problems that
happen in other parts of the country effect California. Those of you who
take a more egocentric point of view will be in for a rude awakening.

--
Miles Harris III
Simi Valley, CA

bernd@texas.net wrote in article <200103282120.f2SLK4813971@mw2.texas.net>... > > Yup...and as for California being #6 on the list...that's accurate...but the > United States combined is #1. So out of 50 states...CA needs to figure things > out for themselves...they brought it upon themselves. > > http://www.lao.ca.gov/2000_reports/calfacts/2000_calfacts_economy_part1.html