Re: let's try again

From: TJ Goettner (TNJG999@email.msn.com)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 00:23:21 EST

Actually, there is nothing "electric" in the TC itself... however it is
electrically controlled by the pcm. When you get to a certain speed (42mph
on my 92 V8) the computer closes (or opens maybe) a soloniod in the
valvebody which allows fluid to flow in a certain manner in which to lock up
the turbine to the impeller of the TC. Because the turbine is splinned to
the input shaft of the tranny, and the impeller is bolted to the flywheel,
this makes the input shaft of the tranny spin at the same speed as the
engine (a mechanical link takes place, simular to a clutch). You see,
without this happening, the input shaft can never spin at the same speed as
the engine, there will always be a certain amount of slip (meaning the
turbine can never spin the same speed as the impeller because the lack of
physical contact between the 2, its all fluid flow). The impeller and
turbine can be descibed as to fans facing each other, with on of them turned
on, the other will spin also, but never at the smae speed, the air passing
between the 2 fans acts simular to that of the fluid in the tranny. HOPE
THIS HELPS!!!!!!

TJ
http://tj31852.tripod.com/1992v84x4dakota/
tnjg999@email.msn.com