Re: I'm not Impressed! (Drinking & Driving)

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@bigfoot.com)
Date: Mon Apr 02 2001 - 19:52:32 EDT

Tom Slick North wrote:

> I was not planning on making any comments to those who responded negatively
> to my initial post, but after reading this one I feel that a response is
> necessary...
>
> First of all, you can be too drunk to drive and still make the conscious
> decision not to drive...

Sadly, far too few are capable of this. Just as bad are the people who
see the drunk getting in the car and do nothing to stop him/her.

> Secondly, I don't see any negative comments about other people who tell
> their stories of street racing... I do not justify street racing, but it
> is better to be on a highway than in a neighborhood, but then again neither
> is safe...

You must have missed out a while back on the person who bragged about
driving home (about 1 AM) for 30 minutes at a consistent 100+ MPH
blowing through red lights and stop signs in semi-reseidential areas.
Folks (myself included) came down on him pretty hard, yet he failed to
see how he was in the wrong, and even bragged that he'd be immune to any
action by the authorities because his daddy is the local sherrif (or
similar).

We do take careless street racing pretty seriously 'round here - there
is a time and a place for everything (and it's called college :) ). I
think most here are aware of that, and either don't do it, or don't brag
about it. I like to think that the people on the DML are responisble
enough to know how much is too much, and back off in hopes that the
other guy will do so as well in response.

-andy