Re: how hot does your 4.7 get

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2001 - 22:01:26 EDT

No, my engine fan spins, it just never engages. It's like this, if you stand
next to the ton truck I use or Daddy's suburban, you can very easily tell
when the engine fan kicks in. There is an audible difference, and there is
definitely a difference in the temp guage soon after they kick on. My truck
has never once done this! The only time the fan clutch is locked is first
thing in the mornings. Ron's theory about the rising underhood temperatures
after shutdown is a very viable one, but he suggests that if you shut the
truck down while it is hot, and the temp gets hot, that when you crank the
truck back, the fan clutch should be locked up just the same as it is in the
morning. I have yet to experience this either. When I talked to a dealer(not
the one I use where I have all my "buddies") about a possible faulty fan
clutch, they said "Yeah, sure we'll look at it- we'll just let the truck
idle in the shop until it overheats and diagnose the problem from there"
-needless to say, they didn't get their hands on my truck!

Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 reg.cab,2wd,4.7L/NV-3500HD5-spd/3.92sg(9.25")
http://www.geocities.com/willcoughlin/index.html

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Arnoldo Silva" <silva@rio.bravo.net>

Will do you mean that your enigine fan is not spinning? that is definately
not a good sign and definately means it is broken take it in.
arnold