Made the Hellwig kit work!

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 06 2001 - 00:54:07 EDT

Well, I meant to post this earlier in the week, but I've just got this thing
working just right. I modified my Hellwig air suspension kit to work on my
Hotchkis leaf-spring equipped Dakota. The problem was that the kit was
designed for a standard-height dakota, and my leaf springs were about 3"-4"
closer to the frame than that.So, I just fabbed up some new brackets to work
for my application. The brackets that I made were from 3/8" plate and were
basically an inverted design of the originals.Now, instead of an "L" shaped
bracket where the bag was mounted on the bottom of the "L", I have the "L"
inverted so that the bag tucks up into the "L" shape. This gave me the room
I needed to have full travel and extension of the bags. I have been running
10lbs of air in them this week, as that actually makes for a better ride. It
still flexes like it's supposed to, it jus't won't bottom out now! I have
yet to hook to any of my big trailers/equipment with it yet, so I don't have
a report on how it'll handle that, though I expect it to do very
well.Overall impression-I love it! It actually helps the unloaded ride,and I
think it will be just what I need when I hook to a big trailer. Anybody that
wants anymore info, or has questions, please feel free to contact me via a
response to this post or personally and I will do anything I can to
help.TTYL,

Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 reg.cab,2wd,4.7L/NV-3500HD5-spd/3.92sg(9.25")
http://www.geocities.com/willcoughlin/index.html