Re: Drag Racing - Part II; or What the hell?!?!?

From: Travis Higgins (travis@primenet.com)
Date: Sat Apr 07 2001 - 12:14:35 EDT

Hi Tom,

Like others have said you must be spinning off the line because 2.4 or even
2.3 60' times aren't that great. That being said, in my R/T I can never run
better that a 2.3 at Firebird in Phoenix because the track is always so
greasy. I have ran a 2.1 at the Tucson track. So the track you are at
might have a lot to do with it. What is the altitude of the track you are
racing at??

MPH is usually the best indication of HP, because even if you spin the tires
you can still run a decent MPH. Your MPH of 85 and 86 means you are way
down on power, especially given your mods. Other people have offered up that
your low end is off, but I think it's your top end. Your truck is falling
on it's face after the 1/8 mile. For example, look at Run #5... at the 1/8
mile mark your MPH is 70.62 at the end of the 1/4 mile its only 85.29.
Unless you let off at the end, something is wrong. When I used to run
around 70.0 MPH in the 1/8 I would still run over 88 MPH in the 1/4. What
kind of air intake or air filter are you running? Your truck could either be
starved for air on the top end, or it could be leaning out at the top end.
Can you borrow an air/fuel mixture gauge from someone and then make a run?

Good luck,
Travis aka Blue Travis
00 IB CC R/T

Run #5