Re: Center console power mod

From: ABeerCan@aol.com
Date: Sat Apr 07 2001 - 18:54:09 EDT

In a message dated 4/7/01 5:04:06 PM Central Daylight Time, tod@quay.com
writes:

<< For example, the Cobra 75 WX ST advertises a lot of the same features as
the
 other Cobras. Why wouldn't it share most of the same components as the
 others? >>

Todd,
In order to mount the controls on the mic, Cobra had to transfer alot of
components into the mic itself. When they did this, they opened themselves
up to alot of rfi from the control wires being mounted in the mic and being
somewhat sheilded. Also, if you are looking at getting a noise canceling
mike, which I highly recommend, then I wish you the best of luck trying to
find one that will work with that radio. Not trying to be fecicous or
anything, just telling the truth.

<<Almost 1,000 watts to match your almost 1,000 HP maybe? :-)

The 10m to 11m mod sounds interesting. I wonder if the regular 10m ham
radios can be modded that way. I do have a ham license. Hmmm...>>

I am sure that any 10m radio could be modded to work on 11m, but the Galaxies
and Rangers are the easiest of these to perform this work to. Oh yeah, only
1k watts? That would make a nice driver for my linear! LOL No really, on
am trans I can swing just over 4800 watts when pushing everything to its
limits. SSB can net around 10k watts. Needless to say, I talk when I want
to and to whomever I want to! LOL

<<Where's your permanent mount...your roof?

I don't have a preference between fiberglass and whip. I wish I did. It'd
make my decision easier.

Do you know if those quick antenna disconnects are any good? I'm thinking
that'd be nice for the car wash. I expect the fiberglass antennas would
need to be disconnected, but maybe the whips don't?>>

My Wilson is mounted to the roof of my 79 F-150 (no computer in it for rfi to
mess with unlike the Dakado :o( I don't trust the disconnects as I have
seen them corrode and burn up radios by sending swrs sky high. If you get a
Wilson 1000 (http://www.wilsonantenna.com/w1000.htm) they simply unscrew from
the base and Wilson provides a protective cap that screws over the ant stud
mount to keep water, dirt, etc... from getting in there. Which is perfect
for those drive through car washes. Takes about 2 minutes to take it off and
put the cap on. Hardest part is keeping the ant from wiggling while you go
to screw it back on, so I say 3 minutes to put it back on. It is also
available in black and white. The Wilson also has a guarantee that their ant
will transmit/recieve better than any other or your money back. The Wilson
also isn't a 1/4 wave whip ant, it is a base load with a 6' whip extending
from it. I am very pleased with my Wilson 5000 and was also very pleased
with my Wilson 1000 that I had. HTH

Will

"You better hope there is intelligent life out there somewhere,
 Cause I think we got cheated down here on Earth!"