RE: CB Stuff (was: Center console power mod)

From: The Man From Utopia (tmfu@home.com)
Date: Sun Apr 08 2001 - 19:56:44 EDT

> > I agree with not getting the controls mounted on the mic radios,
> > looks ok, you can hid part of it, but I have used them, it was bad for
engine
> > noise, hard to hear anyways, sounded tinny and forget about replacing
the mic. Not
> > recommended, but I know they are tempting when faced with
> > mounting a radio in cars nowadays.
>
> All right, I'm convinced. No CB-in-a-Mic for me. Thanks
> Shawn and Will!
>
> Maybe I'll spend the little extra money to get a SSB unit
> anyway. Or maybe
> I'll get a 10m ham radio and modify it for 11m like Will did
> so I can get a
> quality radio along with scanning. Or perhaps an HF rig.
> Or, yes, an all
> bander! The Yaesu FT-100D looks pretty sweet.
>
> Oh. Wait. My CB budget was around $150. Still. . . . :-)
>
> -Tod

If you want an AM/SSB radio, get a Cobra 148GTL. Have a shop replace the
MC8734 PLL chip with a MC8719. YOu can go down about 20ch below ch1, and up
into the lower 10m range(depending on how much you "broadband" the radio).
The clarifier can be unlocked for a +/-10kHz slide.

Greg
NE# 3779
2K1 Neon ES
Rahway NJ