Re: Re: Convert Mid-80s 318 to magnum??

From: Gary Shook (shook@starband.net)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 14:07:22 EDT

The main difference between the magnums and pre-magnums is the valvetrain.

Pre-magnums oil the rocker arms thru the rocker shafts located IN the heads-
so there's an oil passage that goes thru the head- it's fed by holes drilled
thru the cam (yes, really) that allow full oil pressure to periodically be
diverted to the oil passage leading to the heads (to limit the amount of
oil, heads to not get full pressure all the time).

Magnums oil their valvetrain thru the pushrods, and there is no hole in the
cam.

So to run magnum heads on a pre-magnum block, you have to use special
lifters (magnums also use roller cams, most pre-magnums would NOT) that will
oil the valvetrain, and the oil passage previously used will be blocked
(since there's no passage in the head itself)

So it's possible, and I saw an article in Mopar Muscle a while back with all
the details... magnum heads flow well...

--
Gary Shook

""mrdancer"" <mrdancer2@home.your.underwear.com> wrote in message news:9apsq6$7kp$1@bent.twistedbits.net... > I don't remember all of the differences, but the old-style 318 and the > Magnum 318 are different enough that I think you will have some major > problems. I don't believe the heads are interchangeable (someone correct me > if I'm wrong...). > > I think you'd be ahead, in the long run, if you went with a magnum crate > motor and aftermarket fuel injection (see http://www.rancefi.com ). It's an > expensive prospect, but you get what you pay for. > > The A-518 should bolt up to any 318 just fine (the problems people have are > when bolting up the OD tranny to older vehicle styles that may not have the > physical room necessary under the chassis). If you decide to go with a > crate motor (360), you will need an external harmonic balancer. You may > want to put a quality shift kit in the tranny to handle the extra power. > HTH > -- > "mike kulczycki" <dakota1994@hotmail.com> wrote in message > news:F282bTNF3JtD708eJQH000038d4@hotmail.com... > > well i have found an 80s 318 for dirt cheap that needs a rebuild. i want > to > > eventually swap in a V8 into my V6 truck. but i would like to stay with a > > magnum with fuel injection and all... so now my question is, can i put > fuel > > injection on that engine?? can i use magnum heads?? i would probably try > > to bore and stroke it while i am rebuilding it and see what i can get for > > cubes out of it, but really don't want a carbed truck. and what about the > > accesories?? will they fit from my truck now?? by the way i have a 94. > > and what about trannies?? will an A518 bolt up?? thanks for any help.... > > mike k > > 94 slt, cc, V6, 2wd, auto, flowmaster, msd6a, and so on... > > _________________________________________________________________ > > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com > > > >