Re: Convert Mid-80s 318 to magnum??

From: mrdancer (mrdancer2@home.your.underwear.com)
Date: Sun Apr 08 2001 - 10:32:23 EDT

I don't remember all of the differences, but the old-style 318 and the
Magnum 318 are different enough that I think you will have some major
problems. I don't believe the heads are interchangeable (someone correct me
if I'm wrong...).

I think you'd be ahead, in the long run, if you went with a magnum crate
motor and aftermarket fuel injection (see http://www.rancefi.com ). It's an
expensive prospect, but you get what you pay for.

The A-518 should bolt up to any 318 just fine (the problems people have are
when bolting up the OD tranny to older vehicle styles that may not have the
physical room necessary under the chassis). If you decide to go with a
crate motor (360), you will need an external harmonic balancer. You may
want to put a quality shift kit in the tranny to handle the extra power.
HTH