RE: Limited Slip Differential -- GMC vs. Dodge (long post)

From: Rodney Lewis (rlewis@nicorenergy.com)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 10:19:25 EDT

Technically no. If they were locked together all of the time, you'd have a
spool and would get no differential action for turning corners. AFAIK the
only factory locker option is the electric locker found on TRD Toyotas.
Given the limited bit of info on GMC's site, I'd suspect that they use a LSD
in conjunction with their differential 4WD system (differentiates front/rear
like the upper model option Durangos and Grand Cherokees) and a traction
control system that modulates the brakes on the slipping wheel to transfer
power to the one that has traction...basically automation of the old-school
wheeler trick of tapping the brakes or engaging the parking brake to get the
LSD to kick in.

-Rodney