Re: RE: Revolutions per mile, CABS setting? Ron Wong?

From: ABeerCan@aol.com
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 12:31:58 EDT

In a message dated 4/19/01 5:39:44 AM Central Daylight Time,
prodog@swbell.net writes:

<< Hey Will...which 50 Cal rifle do you have?

 Later,
 Tom "Slick"

Tom, mine was a total custom made for me by a long time family friend
gunsmith. He took a piece of stainless stock and used his lathe to turn out
a 30" barrel (I forget the twist right off, I will check it tonight and let
ya know what it is) with a threaded crown so I could thread on the muzzle
brake when I wanted to. He then took a piece of Mahogany wood and carved out
a beautiful stock for the barrel and action. The action he used was one that
is based on the Remington 700 action with positive claw extraction and
feeding, just a much larger and beefier unit. I can't remember who produced
that either, but I will find out tonight while I am checking the twist rate.
He really did an excellent job. I have been pleased with the rifle. Just
don't take the muzzle brake off and shoot it! I have only done that once,
took me a week to figure out if my shoulder hurt. The numbness lasted that
long! :o) All in all the gun costs me a total of ~$2800, but I have enjoyed
it. It is especially fun when I am at the range, and some of the local
idiots are out there spraying and praying with a modified AK-47 (which we
highly discourage illegal mods). I just plop that gun on the ground all the
way on the other end of the benches from them, then let loose one round. It
usually stops them dead in their tracks! LOL The worst part about the whole
deal is, the man who made my 50 BMG, suffered a heart attack last fall, and
has since retired from gunsmithing. :o( I have been looking trying to find
a good gunsmith in the area, but none have matched what he could do. Maybe
he will feel like getting back into it one day, I hope!

The other Will