Re: drivetrain clunk: Reason.

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 19:02:26 EDT

> Hopefully this will be helpful for anybody else who finds themselves
> having this happening to them. Now I think i'm going to go do a dance
> knowing that my tranny isn't beginning to fail (although I probably
> shouldn't get too happy...that means this is probably the original tranny
> and it has 96k miles on it)! :)

Jared, My 93 Dakota had this nasty clunking noise when accelerating from a
stop, and sometimes even when the tranny, also an auto, was changing gears.
I bought a $45 tranny mount from the dealer and it completely fixed the
clunk. It took me about 30 minutes to change it our, very easy. The stock
mount had about 120,000 miles on it and was completely shot. The mount is
basically two pieces of steel, once bolting to the tranny and one bolting to
the tranny frame crossmember, with some hard think rubber piece sandwiched
in between the two steel 'plates'.The rubber was practically torn in half,
and allowed the two steel plates to hit and smack each other when the tranny
moved around. Hope this helps. Try the tranny mount, I bet it is shot.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6