drivetrain clunk: Reason.

From: Jared Kaplan (blizzard@gis.net)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 17:41:08 EDT

Hey Everyone,
        I am not sure if any of you remember, I emailed the list several weeks ago
regarding a clunk from my 94 Dak when I let up on the gas at times. Nobody
really had a definite answer to where it may be coming from other than
maybe the engine mounts. My mechanic also could not find any reason for it
other than a guess that it could be from the tranny. Well I found a web
site where you can ask expert mechanics questions (www.partsamerica.com)
for free and I got a reply in less than 24 hours. I was told that the
Dakota's (at least my specific year one) have an excessive amount of play
inside the drivetrain creating that clunk and that it does not get any
worse nor does it have any affect on the drivetrain. There was no fix for
this by Dodge (go figure... it can be one of the most expensive parts of
the truck to play with).
        Hopefully this will be helpful for anybody else who finds themselves
having this happening to them. Now I think i'm going to go do a dance
knowing that my tranny isn't beginning to fail (although I probably
shouldn't get too happy...that means this is probably the original tranny
and it has 96k miles on it)! :)

Jared
1994 Dodge Dakota Sport, V6, 3.9L, Auto, K&N, Mobil 1.
Chilly Massachusetts