Re: 4.7 exhaust questions

From: Signman615@cs.com
Date: Wed Apr 25 2001 - 19:13:31 EDT

In a message dated 4/25/01 9:35:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time, jstolarz@loa.com
writes:

<< You can order
 the non california y pipe with no cats. I would think that with one cat it
 would be able to pass emissions, but I may be wrong... >>

About a week after I installed my supercharger I had one of the pre-cats go.
Surprisingly enough the dealer didn't try to blame the SC and it was fixed
under warranty. The dealer accidentally ordered a federal Y-pipe instead of a
Calif. emissions one. They sub out all of their exhaust work to a guy who has
his shop within walking distance of the dealer. He's really good at what he
does, been doing it for about 20 years or so and has 2 race cars that he
likes to work on and talk about. Anyway I tried to get him to use the Fed
Y-pipe instead of reordering a Calif. one and he said it wouldn't work
because the computer would be looking for the information from the sensors
but not getting anything. He also told me if I replaced the Y-pipe with
anything different from what came off then it wouldn't be covered under
warranty and cost around $700 to do. Needless to say I still have 3 cats. He
seems to think all the cats flow very well and if you were to net any gains
from them it would be very small. But he also told me that once my warranty
ran out if I was hell bent on doing something with them he would help me gut
the cats. On his own time, kinda hush, hush like of course. I'll be leaving
them alone unless somebody does it first and has some dyno sheets proving
that some decent gains were accomplished. Now a couple of months after all
this is when I got my Borla headers. The only way that he could make them fit
was to cut the Y-pipe and add a 3" extension to spread the Y out alittle
more. It's the only way we were going to get a good seal and have no leaks
with the headers. So my warranty on my Y-pipe is now gone. The only good
thing I got out of my headers is the fact that now when telling people about
my truck I can say I have headers also. From those who don't know any better
I usually get some ahhhs and oohs. Sounds impressive if nothing else. Just my
2 cents worth hope it helps someone.

Paul
00 4x4 CC Sport 5 speed w/ 3.92 gears
Kenne Bell Supercharged 4.7, Borla Headers, Magnum Performance Throttle Body
Flowmaster Cat-Back w/ 3" Pipe exiting in stock location