Re: yanked an 18-wheeler-Reaction

From: J. Courtenay Brandon (jcbrandon@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 00:21:32 EDT

"What was the truck driver's reaction.
And, did he give you anything for it?"

There were actually two drivers: the one who stuck the
truck in the first place, and his partner who had been
asleep in the back the whole time. The second fellow
was more experienced and got the trailer back on the
road after we recovered the tractor.

Both were very thankful as they had been waiting more
than two hours for a wrecker that never showed up.
They said their dispatcher would never believe the
story. They shook my hand profusely. Then I gave them
two bottles of beer from a great brewpub in Colorado
and they thanked me again and drove off.

As I was putting my gear away and airing back up, the
Nevada Highway Patrol showed up. Said he was
responding to a report of a stuck 18-wheeler and did I
know anything about it. I said it was back on the
road, headed for Sacramento, and that I had pulled it
out with my pickup. His jaw hit the dashboard. He said
"You pulled an 18-wheeler out with that?" I said,
"Well, you don't see it here, do you?" Then he drove
off.

I figure I got a pretty good story, and a lot of
valuable experience, out of the whole thing.

As for the diesel build-up, it's a great idea. I've
been thinking of something similar for quite some
time. I'd like to put a 24-valve Cummins, along with
the entire drivetrain and both axles from a Ram 2500,
into a late 40's Power Wagon. But since that's not
Dakota content, I'll leave it at that ;-)

cheers,

-J.