Re: Re: Slight "Knocking" from 4.7 Bottom End

From: Gary Joyce (gjoyce_@excite.com)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2001 - 07:53:08 EDT

Tanner-

Yup. I bet I know exactly what it is. Mine did that too. 2000 4.7 dak
sport 4x4. Anyhow, everymorning, or right after work, for about 3 minutes
til it reached temp, it had a slight knock. well, its was slight at first.
It was under warranty so i asked my dodge dealer. It was a bad rod bearing.
they went to rebuild it, saw the damage had been done, and now I've got a
new short block, w/200 miles on it. If your under warranty i'd have that
looked at right away... but your story sounds just like mine. you don't
wanna run a 20 weight to cover it up. no knocking is good....
Hope i haven't ruined your day. but i will say my local dodge dealer did a
knockdown job on the instal. really clean job. truck runs beautiful, and i
thought i'd be scared of drivin a rebuild/replace job, but i'm tickled to
death it runs so good. I hope yours works out, too..
have a good one
Gary

> > I have been hearing a slight "knocking" sound coming from the bottom
end
> of
> > my 4.7. I recently switched over to Mobil 1, with no improvement
noticed
> on
> > the knocking issue. I am running 10W30, so I should be fine and I don't
> > really want to bump up to 20w50 if I don't have to. Sound is really
> > noticeable at startup until it reaches temp. Sound "softens" after I
> reach
> > normal operating temps, 185^ or so. I can only hear it at idle though,
> > especially w/ cars or walls beside the Dak. I hold good oil pressure
at
> > idle and at rpms and the oil level is right on....
> > Any other 4.7 owners have this happening?? Would like to find
cure/reason
> > for this!! Guess I may just have to get an aftermarket exhaust system
> > cover up the knocking 8^)
> >
> > TIA,
> > Tanner
> >
> > PS. Still waiting on the tube to come back from the coaters, so no
> > prices/performance figures yet... Hope to see it here tomorrow.

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/