Re: RE: catalytic converter for R/T

From: Jim Miller (jim76712@swbell.net)
Date: Sun Apr 29 2001 - 18:31:02 EDT

I have heard that. It is probably costly too. The problem is the R/T cat has 2
very small inlets, maybe as small as 1.75 and the down pipes that come with the
R/T Mopar headers have a large pipe, at least 2.5 but have to reduce down a lot
to fit into the cat. The front of cat O2 sensor is made into the cat also. The
rear of cat sensor is about 8" past the cat. the factory cat has a 2.5 outlet
and goes through 2.5 pipe into the muffler which is a 2.5 in 2.5 out. the tail
pipe enlarges to 3 inches just past the muffler. It seems to me that if you
reduce 2X 2.5 down to a single 2.5 through the cat and muffler that the 3 inch
tailpipe is just for looks. I want to go from the 2X 2.5 down pipes through a
dual 2.5 in 3 out Y adapter and mount the front O2 sensor in the Y just in front
of the cat. Then use a 3" in 3" out cat, 3" pipe to a 3" in dual 2.5 out
muffler and add a second left side tailpipe and a 3" should fit for the drivers
side pipe and make the exit look like the factory side. Am I making any sense?
Jim.