Re: New 4.7L and When To Put Synthetic Oil In

From: Ransom T Holbrook (ransom@setel.com)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 11:47:52 EDT

Should have asked him what had he been smoking .... for one synthetic oil
has a tendecy to slow down the break-in process NOT speed it up. 3k-4k
would probably o.k. to switch over. remember that several new autos use
synthetic from the factory. I also don't remember the owners manual
recommending 5w30, mine says 10w30. However in the cold winter months I did
use 5w30. Metal in a new engine is normal, however that is why I like to
change to a 'good' filter as soon as the truck is broken in..