New 4.7L and When To Put Synthetic Oil In

From: Paul Macey (pmacey@ans.net)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 10:54:46 EDT

I was just at the dealer going over my new 2001 DAK QC
AWD/4.7/Auto/3.92/LSD/4W-ABS/T&H/Sport+ before they prep it, and asked
when I could put in synthetic oil.

He said even though 500 miles is considered broken in, to wait till 8-9K
miles before using synthetic, as synthetic oil would speed up the break in
process on a new engine, something you don't want to do

He also said not to use 5w30 but 10w30, that the owners manual should not
list 5w30 as a recommended oil...thoughts on this?

BTW, he showed me a new DAK a dealer drives, pulled out the dipstick so I
could see some metal filings glinting in the sun, a normal part of engine
break in, he said...anyone see this also?

FWIW, I'll be using Royal Purple Synthetic Oil, possibly a Mobil1 filter.