Re: New 4.7L and When To Put Synthetic Oil In

From: WOT or waiting at a Red (dakatack@home.com)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 10:51:16 EDT

5w30 is Correct. Most new engines for passenger cars and light trucks are
designed to use 5w30. This guy is a quack. Don't listen to him. He's a
dealer not and engineer.

This may help.

The function of oil in an internal combustion engine is to:
Create a hydrodynamic wedge between moving parts
Assist in thermal dissipation
Absorb and buffer contaminants formed during combustion
Remove particles from moving part areas and transfer to filter

Wait at least 1,500 miles before switching over a new engine to synthetic
lubricants. The seating of rings and wear in of other engine parts usually
occurs within the first 500 miles and should definitely have been
accomplished by 1,500 miles on today's new engines. Under 1,500 miles you
should follow the manufacturer's recommendation for drain intervals and
break procedures. Furthermore, waiting to at least 1,500 miles gives you the
opportunity to assess the mechanical soundness of the engine and the
opportunity to report any unusual conditions that may indicate a latent
mechanical defect in your new engine.

Also, never listen to the dealer if he contradicts the manufacture's written
information unless he is willing to put it in writing and back it up with
warranty coverage. This is so when his vast experience selling cars and his
big mouth and ego ruin your truck, you can minimize your losses.

Patrick O'Day
2000 Dakota 4x4, 4.7L, CC
Profile at www.dakota-truck.net/profiles/dakota/Cy9WFjn1QtCYw/profile.htm