Running rough in high gear

From: A. S. (adakota4x4@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 22:00:45 EDT

Dad's got a 97 dak 4x4 V6 auto. He says that the truck is running very
rough, almost as if it's missing or something, when it shifts into high
gear. He said there's no power to be had between 50-60 mph and it wants to
run really rough. Once he gets it up to about 70, he says that you don't
notice anything really out of the ordinary.
Here's what we did a couple months ago:
Replaced:
spark plugs and wires
pcv valve
cap and rotor
replaced factory airbox with homemade
A couple weeks after the tune-up, it started this behavior. It doesn't do
it everytime...but enough to be annoying.
We never took the TB off and cleaned it. Could a dirty TB cause problems
like this?
We also used the "key-on-off" and only code 55 shows which I believe means
that no codes are stored.
Also, just a side note, the tailpipe looks to have more black soot (SP?)
on it than normal.

Any help on stuff I can check or do would be great!
Thanks!
--Aaron--
95 DSRC 4x4 V6
www.geocities.com/adakota4x4_95/