Optimal K&N Filter sizes

From: Stephen Cecil (scecil@npc.net)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 09:37:38 EDT

I've noticed several intake setups of members that use honkin' big K&N filters.

The last couple issues of Sport Truck have shown Kenny Bell supercharger
installs on both the 4.7L Dodge and the 8.1L (I think) Chebby that use a much
smaller conical K&N (like half the size of the foot-long cones I see on many
installs).

Is this to keep the low end strong by not putting on a filter that way exceeds
the airflow requirements of the engine? Maybe this is why many people report
low end losses after adding an intake.

It seems weird that a supercharged 8.1L engine only needs such a small(ish)
filter, but V6's and small(er) V8's use 1000cfm+ filters.

Any thoughts?

Steve
00 CC Sport+ 4.7L Auto 3.55 LSD