Re: Optimal K&N Filter sizes

From: Hoegen (hoegen@kersur.net)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 17:03:22 EDT

Don't lnow about anyone else, but I purposefully chose a larger than needed
filter. Obviously you get that much more flow, plus when it becomes very
dirty, it won't impact performance as much (cuts down the time between
washing). Additionally, as I add mods to my stock setup, I wanted the filter
to be able to provide for them.
I spoke with K&N tech support and asked for a cone filter for a 5.9L engine
(flow up to 5krpm), they suggested the RU-0950. They told me the highest
flow rate which would still provide enough flow for that filter with a 5.9L.

....of course, I put this filter on my V6 :-). Funny thing is I have seen
filters on V6s much larger than mine.

http://www.kersur.net/~hoegen/after.jpg

Later

--
Kevin
99 Solar Yellow Magnum S/T

""Stephen Cecil"" <scecil@npc.net> wrote in message news:3AF15F22.C993A1DE@npc.net... > I've noticed several intake setups of members that use honkin' big K&N filters. > > The last couple issues of Sport Truck have shown Kenny Bell supercharger > installs on both the 4.7L Dodge and the 8.1L (I think) Chebby that use a much > smaller conical K&N (like half the size of the foot-long cones I see on many > installs). > > Is this to keep the low end strong by not putting on a filter that way exceeds > the airflow requirements of the engine? Maybe this is why many people report > low end losses after adding an intake. > > It seems weird that a supercharged 8.1L engine only needs such a small(ish) > filter, but V6's and small(er) V8's use 1000cfm+ filters. > > Any thoughts? > > Steve > 00 CC Sport+ 4.7L Auto 3.55 LSD