Re: was: 1st drag now: sticking shifts

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sat May 05 2001 - 16:08:42 EDT

At 10:58 AM 5/5/01 -0500, you wrote:
>My tranny was rebuilt in 94 and has been good ever since. I've been sitting
>on a recall since last summer that would "replace the steel manual valve with
>an aluminum valve" to correct a problem of the tranny engaging itself if
>not put
>all the way into park. I am somewhat afraid of letting a dealer play in
>my tranny.
>Would this fix help my sticking shifts at all??

No, I don't think it would.

>Any downsides to the amsoil changeover? I'm running standard mopar atf

None that I can see except for the expense. The synth. fluid also keeps
the tranny temp. (probably the #1 killer of tranny parts) cooler as
well. After a 1/4 run,
my tranny temp. used to rise about 12F with the standard fluid. With the
synth.,
the rise in temp. is about 5F. I've read dyno. articles in which a switch to
synth. tranny fluid puts more hp and torque to the rear wheels because
some of the power loss due to friction in the tranny is recouped.

The shop would need to have a special machine that is capable of flushing
all the old fluid out of the converter. Total amount of new fluid needed would
be around 12-14 quarts.

Good luck.

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
'97 Dakota Sport, 4x2, CC, Flame red, 5.2L, auto., 3.92SG