Re: Engine Identification

From: Tom (Silver89) (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon May 07 2001 - 16:13:28 EDT

I'm not knowledgeable on the 4 bangers - however my advise is to pick up a used
FSM (Factory service manual)

Also I would assume yer timing chain is under the waterpump and the cover is
not accessable untill the pump is removed.

Chiltons and Haynes are not specific enough. Keep watch on EBAY - used and new
FSMs surface frequently.

english wrote:

> Hi: Just bought a really clean '96 Dakota Sport (ShortBed 2.5L). Bought a
> Chiltons to do 60K maintenance and found that some of the pictures of the
> engine do not match my engine. For instance, mine has no visible timing belt
> cover (as shown in Chilton) and the adjuster for the serpentine belt is not
> on the alternator but on the idler pulley. Would like to know which engine I
> have (it's listed as P on the VIN) and, also, does it have a timing
> belt/chain and where the heck is it? Thanks...english

Tom S.

http://www.SaveChrysler.com

http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine

1989,V6,Auto,8 footer,4x2 1989,V6,Auto,8 footer,4x4 w/snowplow