Re: Re: 318 (5.2L) Stroker

From: Mark Kuzia (flyboy01@mediaone.net)
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 00:42:39 EDT

I'm pretty sure you can get 390ci out of a 318 w/4.00" stroke and bored .030
over. You have to realize that you are still starting with a cubic inch
advantage with a 360 block, if you plan to build it for 1hp per cubic inch
power ratio, you will always be at a 20-30 hp disadvantage starting with a
318, other problems would be:

1. Smaller bore means possible valve shrouding, so smaller valves would have
to be used. Since this is in the "big-block" territory, you need to breath.

2. Smaller bore means more grinding for rod clearance on cylinder walls.

3. Harder to find the special stroker pistons you need.

Don't get me wrong, it can be done, but if you already have everything
apart, it sure is an easy 30 hp. If you really want to, go ahead, be
different, save a few bucks, just don't get any last minute regrets when you
are done, wishing you had that extra horsepower, cause' that would be a more
expensive conversion once done.

Mark Kuzia
flyboy01@mediaone.net
http://people.mw.mediaone.net/flyboy01/home.html
1995 Dakota 13.79 @ 102.45 mph
~360ci, 5-spd, 4.11 LS (8 3/4 [3.90 SG] coming soon)
1994 Dakota 15.36 @ 91.56 mph
~318ci, 5-spd, 3.90 LS (bone stock, no mods)