Re: Blowing up my engine and Powerdyne/ANY PCM :-)

From: Bob Mankin (bob@cadpros.com)
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 15:50:58 EDT

Shawn Bowen wrote:

> Ok,
> I see that there are several opinions on this subject;-). I guess what I
> need to know before I KO my engine this weekend is what I need to do to get
> the SC in and the timing at a stable level, I'll go with the assumption that
> my PowerDyne FMU will take care of the fuel demand. If it doesn't and I run
> lean at 6PSI I have a feeling I'm going to blow a head gasket at the
> minimum...
>
> I am seriously considering having leach flash my PCM, not only to retard
> the timing but also to modify the shift points, top end limiter and several
> other items. However, I am willing to purchase the Fel-Pro's SEFI-8LO if I
> knew where to find one and how to operate it. This seems to be the ideal
> solution as I get TV by reprogramming Smart Cards all the time, a PCM can't
> be that much harder, it's just an eeprom or two, I just need the programmer
> and a dump of what the memory locations do, I'm sure someone has it mapped
> out somewhere.
>
> Is there anyone who can give me a relatively safe option to use with the
> PowerDyne? I didn't expect this much of a headache over the timing and fuel
> issues when I bought it. I know other people run them, Bernd you have one
> on your Dak so I know you have the inside scoop. Please feel free to give
> me any FAQ's on it from a timing, fuel, and any other perspective if you
> have the time. I checked out your web site, great info and pic's of the
> installs but I didn't see much regarding the timing. I think I'll get the
> Icon for now as a quick fix.
>
> At this point I'm a little scared to bolt this puppy on!!!!
>
> Thanks,
> Shawn
> 98 5.2L 4x4 CC

Shawn,

FWIW, I've been monitoring discussions about blower installs, mostly on
R/Ts, on another forum. The general consensus over there is that the
318/360 motors have marginal head gaskets, which in combination with a
10 head bolt arrangement puts them on the ragged edge for puking the
stock gaskets. Doesn't mean you cannot get by without them, but if you
hear it starting to ping, you best get out of it or you'll be taking the
motor apart soon after your blower install. Obviously the higher the
boost, the less margin for error. If you're using some form of timing
retard and a fuel pressure gauge, you should be able to monitor/control
it well enough to stay out of trouble

I'm close to installing an ATI on my '98 5.2L(w/intercooler) @ 9 psi,
along with 1.7 rollers and the 52mm billet from F&B, using a MSD 6BTM
for the spark control. I just got my Leach custom PCM done last week.
After reading up over the weekend, I'm considering holding off until I
can get the R/T heads and possibly a cam swap, which allows me to
address the head gaskets at the same time. That's the problem with these
projects, once you get started it's hard to know when to stop ;-)

Bob